Why Test Automation?
Testing is a vital element of customer satisfaction and an integral part of every software development life cycle today. Software development is all about speed, efficiency and flexibility and so is the role of testing and test automation to support this and remove mechanical, routine and time consuming tasks.
Due to the requirement of speed, management of test data and different test environments; testing needs to be very efficient and effective. This is continuously increasing demand to –automate testing and ensure that the regression testing process happens on a very regular basis (even daily),resulting in a most predictable new build every time, with almost zero manual effort being put into this task, enabling the development team to get instant feedback on the quality of their software application/ product.
Test Automation Maturity Model
Test Automation is a reliable strategy and the only option to optimize testing and meet quality standards within time for any complex application in today’s world.
Across market segments, Test Automation Practice is at different maturity stages. Every stage brings up a unique learning and opportunity to empower yourself to move to the higher stage of maturity.
Challenges in conventional approach
Today’s test automation is yet another software development process. Available tools in the market demand programming to build a scalable and maintainable test automation suits. It poses few key challenges:
- Time to automate is very long (we are not talking about Record and Play back as it is just not maintainable)
- Maintenance of test suites is very high in today’s frequently changing scenarios. Thousands of lines of test automation code, no documentation, and resource churn create a mess that shifts the complete focus. Your test automation is not ready when it is needed. Now you are burning money, time and efforts just to make that work. Lots of frustration! And no results.
- Skills are not easily available – every tool has its unique and proprietary approach to interact with application technologies. So you need different teams to deal with different tools because they support different programming languages.
- And your best assets – subject matter experts, functional experts, manual testers cannot automate because they do not know programming.
- Cost of tools and special skills prolongs expected ROI
Test automation is not a choice anymore. Well, how you do is!